We are all born with powerful, imaginal resources. We can easily imagine people, places and things that have never existed in our everyday reality. Children learn to cope with life largely through play and fantasy. As we get older, we may use this ability less and less, but it still stays with us. Our imagination not only makes life more interesting, it helps us survive.
When clients get stuck in shame, the most powerful way to help them get unstuck may be to activate their imagination. In the Imaginal Realm, logic and time are fluid and flexible. What actually happened can be explored and changed. What was stuck in the cognitive realm can be reexamined and shifted. Shaming situations from the past can be revisited and resolved.
In this workshop, we will utilize techniques from Drama Therapy, Focusing, Expressive Arts Therapy, Jungian creative imagination and Hakomi. We will explore the critical voices and/or the childhood scenes that are still driving the internal shame dynamic in the client.
You will learn to help clients:
- Externalize shame so that it can be worked with directly.
- Work with roles, parts and shame-based introjects.
- Access strength, resilience, inner resources and role repertoire.
- Find a deeper understanding by working with objects you already have in your office.
- Utilize imaginal techniques to give the shame back, so that it stays in the Imaginal Realm.
Once the shame is worked through in the Imaginal Realm, the client can interact with the world differently.
There is no prerequisite for this course. It can be taken by itself or as part of a sequence.
Saturday, November 4, 10:00am - 6:00pm & Sunday, November 5, 10:00am - 5:30pm
In Berkeley, just off I-80.
13 CEUs* (See CEU info below.)
CAMFT Approved CE Provider #134393
This course is for therapists and helping professionals. If you're not sure if it's the right class for you, please contact Bret Lyon (see contact information below). This workshop can lead to certification as a Healing Shame Practitioner.
$350 / $325 with full payment by September 22. (USE COUPON CODE: EARLYBIRD-IMAGIN)
Special rate for interns - $55 off full price. (Use coupon code INTERN.)
This workshop can lead to certification as a Healing Shame Practitioner.
Gaurantee Your Spot
This is a workshop for therapists and other helping professionals, taught by Sheila Rubin, LMFT, RDT/BCT and Bret Lyon, PhD, SEP, BCC.
Bret Lyon and Sheila Rubin have co-led workshops on Healing Shame for over a decade in many cities in the U.S. and Canada, including Berkeley, New York, Montreal, Ottawa and Victoria, BC. Both have trained in EFT with Sue Johnson and in AEDP with Diana Fosha.
* The Center for Healing Shame is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for MFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California - CAMFT Approved CE Provider #134393. PhDs in California and PhDs and licensed therapists outside California may be able to receive 12 CEUs through the co-sponsorship of R. Cassidy Seminars. (Apply for CEUs from R. Cassidy Seminars prior to the workshop at www.ceuregistration.com.)
The Center for Healing Shame maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
CANCELLATION POLICY: No refunds. The amount paid can be applied toward a future workshop within 12 months. Registrations are not transferable.
The Center for Healing Shame welcomes people who have disabilities. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs. Location is wheelchair accessible.