Shame is an embodied belief that "something is wrong with me." Because shame exists in the body as well as in the mind, it is helpful for therapists to work with shame somatically.
Clients stuck in shame have trouble seeing anyone but themselves. It can be hard for them to receive support from another person as they are caught in the grip of shame. In this workshop, you will explore how to utilize somatic techniques to connect more quickly with the client and forge a strong therapeutic alliance.
In this workshop you will:
- Focus on using breathing and grounding to resource the client, becoming more aware of your own breathing and expanding it in the process.
- Learn how you can resource yourself so that you don't fall into somatic counter-transference and take on the client's physical shame patterns.
- Explore how to keep your clients more present in the room with you and counter over-verbalization, dissociation and freezing.
- Learn techniques and theory from Wilhelm Reich (the father of Somatics), Peter Levine (Somatic Experiencing), Ron Kurtz (Hakomi) and Eugene Gendlin (Focusing).
There is no prerequisite for this course. It can be taken by itself or as part of a sequence.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 10:00AM - 6:00PM & SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 10:00AM - 5:30PM
In Berkeley, California, just off I-80.
13 CE credits* (See CE info below.)
CAMFT Approved CE Provider #134393
This course is for therapists and helping professionals. If you're not sure if it's the right class for you, please contact Bret Lyon (see contact information below). This workshop can be applied toward certification as a Healing Shame Practitioner.
$350 / $325 with full payment by Jan 12. (Use coupon code EARLYBIRD-FREEZE)
Special rate for interns - $55 off full price. (Use coupon code INTERN)
Guarantee Your Spot:
This is a workshop for therapists and other helping professionals, taught by Sheila Rubin, LMFT, RDT/BCT and Bret Lyon, PhD, SEP, BCC.
Bret Lyon and Sheila Rubin have co-led workshops on Healing Shame for over a decade in many cities in the U.S. and Canada, including Berkeley, New York, Montreal, Ottawa and Victoria, BC. Both have trained in EFT with Sue Johnson and in AEDP with Diana Fosha.
* The Center for Healing Shame is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for MFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California - CAMFT Approved CE Provider #134393. PhDs in California and PhDs and licensed therapists outside California may be able to receive 12 CE credits through the co-sponsorship of R. Cassidy Seminars. (Apply for CE credits from R. Cassidy Seminars prior to the workshop at www.ceuregistration.com.)
The Center for Healing Shame maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
CANCELLATION POLICY: No refunds. The amount paid can be applied toward a future workshop within 12 months. Registrations are not transferable.
The Center for Healing Shame welcomes people who have disabilities. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs. Location is wheelchair accessible.