Sexuality is a vital, defining part of our identity. We are at our most vulnerable when we experience sexual feelings — and therefore we're the most prone to feeling shame.
We are subject to sexual shaming from early childhood, when we are most vulnerable to moral judgments from family and society — and to boundary violations from family members and those older than us. Entering our teenage years, we long to be attractive to others and try desperately to "be cool" and fit in. As adults, we seek a partner and try to balance the constraints of monogamy with sexual adventure. In our mature years, our ability to function sexually diminishes and our faces and bodies are no longer as we remember them.
In this workshop, we will offer tools you can use to help clients talk about, explore and heal the sexual shame that can arise at any stage in the life cycle — and help them towards a life-affirming sexuality. You will:
- Discover ways to help clients become aware of the many, often conflicting messages they received about body image and sexuality from family and society.
- Learn ways to help clients repair the disconnect between self and others — and between parts of the self — that has been created by shaming, inappropriate behavior or abuse.
- Understand counter-shaming techniques and develop tools for couples to understand their shame triggers and communicate about taboo sexual topics.
- Work with the shame that can cause and result from affairs.
- Identify challenges in being a sexual minority in society and the layers of shame that can occur.
- Unfreeze shame and open life force in a grounded and embodied way, helping clients to access and safely explore their sexual energy.
There is no prerequisite for this course. It can be taken by itself or as part of a sequence.
SATURDAY, MARCH 24, 10:00AM - 6:00PM & SUNDAY, SUNDAY MARCH 25, 10:30AM - 5:30PM
In Berkeley, California, just off I-80.
13 CEUs* (See CEU info below.)
CAMFT Approved CE Provider #134393
This course is for therapists and helping professionals. If you're not sure if it's the right class for you, please contact Bret Lyon (see contact information below). This workshop can lead to certification as a Healing Shame Practitioner.
$350 / $325 with full payment by Feb 9. (Use coupon code EARLYBIRD-SEX)
Special rate for interns - $55 off full price. (Use coupon code INTERN.)
Guarantee Your Spot:
This is a workshop for therapists and other helping professionals, taught by Sheila Rubin, LMFT, RDT/BCT and Bret Lyon, PhD, SEP, BCC.
Bret Lyon and Sheila Rubin have co-led workshops on Healing Shame for over a decade in many cities in the U.S. and Canada, including Berkeley, New York, Montreal, Ottawa and Victoria, BC. Both have trained in EFT with Sue Johnson and in AEDP with Diana Fosha.
*The Center for Healing Shame is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for MFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California (CAMFT Approved CE Provider #134393). PhDs and licensed therapists from other states may receive CEUs through Cassidy Seminars. The Center for Healing Shame maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
CANCELLATION POLICY: No refunds. The amount paid can be applied toward a future workshop within 12 months. Registrations are not transferable.
The Center for Healing Shame welcomes people who have disabilities. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs. Location is wheelchair accessible.