The more we care about each other, the more vulnerable we are to shame. Intentionally or unintentionally, we poke each other in the tender spots. Couples can shame each other multiple times a day, often without realizing what is happening.
This can become a highly reactive cycle, preventing both people from getting their basic safety and attachment needs met. And shame can distort how we hear each other; the received message may have little to do with the message the partner is attempting to send.
In this workshop we will explore the blame/shame game couples can fall into and how to help them stop shaming each other and work together to create a secure base and heal the wounds of the past.
- Look at some of the many subtle ways shame can be triggered.
- Explore shaming moments with great care so we can teach our clients how to avoid shame-based reactivity.
- Learn the gentle art of “counter-shaming,” how to actually help a partner with his or her feelings of inadequacy.
- Help a person give back shame to the original source with their partner’s full support.
If we can free the energy that has been stuck in blame and shame, couples can increase their vitality, joy and intimacy.
There is no prerequisite for this course. It can be taken by itself or as part of a sequence.
SATURDAY, APRIL 21, 10:00AM - 6:00PM & SUNDAY, APRIL 22, 10:00AM - 5:30PM
In Berkeley, California, just off I-80.
13 CEUs* (See CEU info below.)
CAMFT Approved CE Provider #134393
This course is for therapists and helping professionals. If you're not sure if it's the right class for you, please contact Bret Lyon (see contact information below). This workshop can lead to certification as a Healing Shame Practitioner.
$350 / $325 with full payment by March 9. (Use coupon code EARLYBIRD-COUPLE.)
Special rate for interns - $55 off full price. (Use coupon code INTERN.)
Guarantee Your Spot:
This is a workshop for therapists and other helping professionals, taught by Sheila Rubin, LMFT, RDT/BCT and Bret Lyon, PhD, SEP, BCC.
Bret Lyon and Sheila Rubin have co-led workshops on Healing Shame for over a decade in many cities in the U.S. and Canada, including Berkeley, New York, Montreal, Ottawa and Victoria, BC. Both have trained in EFT with Sue Johnson and in AEDP with Diana Fosha.
* The Center for Healing Shame is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for MFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California - CAMFT Approved CE Provider #134393. PhDs in California and PhDs and licensed therapists outside California may be able to receive 12 CEUs through the co-sponsorship of R. Cassidy Seminars. (Apply for CEUs from R. Cassidy Seminars prior to the workshop at www.ceuregistration.com.)
The Center for Healing Shame maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
CANCELLATION POLICY: No refunds. The amount paid can be applied toward a future workshop within 12 months. Registrations are not transferable.
The Center for Healing Shame welcomes people who have disabilities. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs. Location is wheelchair accessible.